At C's second birthday party last month I set up a play dough table for the kids. I knew that a group of under-2 year olds wouldn't really be able to follow directions for games, and this seemed like something fun that they could play with at their own pace.
I tried out several recipes, and here is the one I preferred (with a couple of modifications to the directions). We've been playing with it constantly since the party!
Homemade Play Dough
1 cup flour
1 cup salt
1 tbsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup water
- Mix flour, salt, and cream of tartar in a bowl.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pot.
- Mix water and food colouring in a measuring cup.
- Add dry ingredients and water to pot and mix together.
- Simmer until clay begins to pull away from the pot’s sides.
- Remove from heat and allow clay to cool in pot. Transfer clay to a cutting board and allow it to cool further until you can knead it comfortably.
- Knead until smooth. Store in an airtight container.